Attorney Merrell Bailey discusses the process of changing the cause of death on a death certificate.

What happens when the cause of death on a death certificate is wrong?

The cause of death can be changed in Florida depends on the facts and the timing of the request.

  1. Determine the reason for the change. Provide evidence that supports your claim that the cause is incorrect.
  2. If filed within the last year, you need to complete a form called the “Statement to Amend a Florida Death Record.” Submit the form to the Bureau of Vital Statistics.

    If it’s been more than a year, you may need the help of an attorney. The Court Order to Amend the Record will need to be obtained.
  3. Hang in there. This is not a quick process, and it may take many weeks. It can be done, though.

Comments are closed.